Tuesday, June 01, 2010

Boredom Beyond Belief

One of my greatest fears right before graduating was that I would graduate, and then find nothing to do during the day. So, my days would be filled with things just trying to fill time.  I find it funny, because if I had a million dollars, after taxes, I'd give half to charity and spend the other half seeing the world. But it seems like even rich people get bored with that after a while. 

So, obviously, money isn't the answer.

I have been reading quite a bit, though. Due to the recommendation of my good friend Megan Birnstein, I'm reading One Hundred Years of Solitude, and so far it's going quite well. It's Don Quixote-esque style is refreshing in story telling. However, I appreciate the fact that it revolves around quite a few characters, focusing on two central. It's a good read.

Otherwise, I've re-read the Uglies trilogy and I've really enjoyed that. The writing is so much better than the Twilight series and the story is much more interesting. I wish more teenagers would read it. 

And, currently, I'm reading Fight Club. I adore the movie, if for no other reason it's a valid statement on what our culture has come to in the last few years: trying to find cheap thrills and stopping at no length to get the rush and feeling of passion that a person used to have. So far the book is better than the movie, simply because it lets you visualize how things would be. 

On the reading list for the rest of the summer:

  1. Three Cups of Tea
  2. Reading Lolita in Teheran
  3. The Poet of Baghdad 

I've watched all of the episodes of Glee that are available on Hulu. I've kept up with House, watched the ever so sad ending of the first and last season of Flash Forward, and Community. Jeff's now a jerk, which I don't understand. I can't really blame the writers for Flash Forward, simply because they probably weren't giving a lot of warning that the show was going to definitively end instead of just a season. House looks like it's got about one more season in it, and it will end. 


Meanwhile, I've been waiting for a call back about a job. It had looked like I had a job, and I've been waiting for the manager to call me back for five days. The other interview was last Tuesday and she said she wouldn't know for two weeks, but I'll probably give her a call back in the meantime.


If I don't have either of those jobs after the wedding, then I'll start applying at agencies. We'll see how that goes.  

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I want to see the world as well, but it is a passion of mine to explore. I mean, I now know pretty much all the back roads of Central Alabama. I can easily navigate my way through the Talledega Forest as well. Rich folks just want to see the shiny things. And that is probably the reason most grow bored with traveling. You gotta' explore, really look at things, and learn.