Sunday, April 12, 2009

The Music to My Soul

I'm sure everyone has heard Happy Easter about five million times by now and, while I'm not knocking Easter, this isn't going to be an Easter post. He's risen. Alleluia.

I'm a music fiend. No joke, I download music every week, several times a week if not several times a day. Whether it's hearing about a new artist or simply finding an old favorite song that I didn't have, I luuuurve listening to music. It's beautiful stuff. Music is coffee that you can hear. I think it's sad that there are people out there who think that music detracts from life. I honestly know people who refuse to listen to music outside their comfort zone or refuse to listen to music at all. Music is written, always, about life. Others experiences. Your experiences. Music is a great way to learn about other cultures and people who aren't like you.

But it's not just about the words or the things expressed in songs. It's about how the words and the sounds pair together - the marriage of meaning behind the words and the meaning added with the sound of the music. How do the two interact? Do they work well together?

Food for thought next time you listen to something.

Now, my reccomendation, Dr. Dog, Fleet Foxes, and Bon Iver. Check them out. Maybe I'll post something new next week.

No comments: